Easy DIY Doily Wall Art

diy canvas art with spray paint doily doilies 15

I’m a serious crafter at heart. Pretty sure it’s genetic. My Grandma used to paint ceramics, do embroidery, and do latch hook rugs and wall hangings. My mother dabbles in a little of everything and you never know what she’s up to. Her latest endeavor is collecting seashells and beach glass at the shores of Lake Erie to decorate wood picture frames. You can’t walk into a little shop or boutique without her pointing out 3 or 4 items saying, “We could make that!” Crafting is truly a family affair because even my older brother has been known to participate on occasion!

diy canvas art with spray paint doily doilies 16

One of my favorite craft activities is DIY wall art. You will not find a blank spot on my walls. I just have to fill an empty space – I can’t help it. Obviously wall art adds so much character and personality to a home though. Someone else who lives under my roof might argue that our house is cluttered, but I prefer to think of it as organized chaos. Because it is organized. It’s just that there’s a lot. :)

You might remember that I recently took a stab at making celery stamped wall art. It was ridiculously easy, inexpensive, and super fast. Seriously, a cinch. Also, it was SO.MUCH.FUN. The DIY wall art thing has since snowballed because canvases went on sale at Michaels, and well, I bought them in bulk. The wheels were turning on how I could use them when I also spotted doilies in the $1 section. It all came together for me in the aisles of a Michaels store, as these crafty things tend to do!

celery art 23
DIY celery-stamped wall art

This next attempt at easy DIY wall art was just as fun, even easier, and also very inexpensive. You only need a handful of supplies that are all affordable, and a half hour time-slot. That is all.

To see how I made it, keep reading!

diy canvas art with spray paint doily doilies 19

2 or 3 colors of spray paint

1 can of Krylon Easy-Tack Repositionable Adhesive spray

6-8 paper doilies – I used 8-inch size

newspaper or large piece of cardboard

2 canvases – I used 8x10s

Step 1: Decide which colors you want to layer. I wanted to do one of these in teal w/ purple overlay, and the other in yellow w/ teal overlay. Outside, on newspaper or a large piece of cardboard, spray the canvases accordingly with one even, opaque coat. I sprayed one teal, and the other yellow. Allow to dry, about 10-15 minutes.

diy canvas art with spray paint doily doilies 2

Step 2: Lay out the doilies and decide on their placement. Once you’ve decided, use the Easy-Tack Repositionable Adhesive spray to lightly spray the doilies, and lay them in place on the canvases. The spray will gently attach them, but they’ll easily peel off, and they won’t remove paint. Make sure they’re pressed onto the canvases smoothly.

diy canvas art with spray paint doily doilies 3

Step 3: Spray each canvas evenly and opaquely with the overlay color. I sprayed the teal canvas with purple, and the yellow canvas with teal. Allow the paint to dry for about 5 minutes. You don’t want it to be completely dry because the paint might peel when we remove the doilies, but you don’t want it so wet that it runs or drips. 5 minutes is just right.

diy canvas art with spray paint doily doilies 9

Step 4: Gently peel off the doilies, and allow the canvases to dry completely!

diy canvas art with spray paint doily doilies 11 diy canvas art with spray paint doily doilies 10

That’s it! They’re ready to hang! Super fast and easy DIY. Let me know if you try it!

diy canvas art with spray paint doily doilies 17

Hi Michele! Thanks – it was so easy and fast! And then they turned out prettier than I was expecting, so I’m really happy with them! I like colorful things so they go well with the rest of my house. Haha. Have a great day! :)

Hi Steffi! That’s a great idea to decorate greeting cards! If you stop to think about all the things that could serve as a stencil, and all the things you could stencil onto, it’s pretty incredible how many possibilities, right? Thanks for sharing your craft! I pinned your espadrilles with the gold triangle stamp. LOVE LOVE LOVE those!!! Thank you so much for stopping by! Have a wonderful day. :)

Hello Sarah,

thank you for sharing the espadrilles!! :) Yes, the possibilities concerning stencils are endless, but I think that’s good! This way we’ll never run out of ideas on what to do… 😉

Have a great day,

That’s so true! I love the limitless possibilities there are in making crafts! That’s definitely part of the fun. Thanks so much for stopping back, Steffi! Have a wonderful day! :)

Hi Michelle! I almost couldn’t believe how seamless and easy this was to do! It was embarrassingly easy and took very little time! They turned out prettier than I was hoping, so I’m super happy with them! Thanks for your kind comment. Have a wonderful day! :)

Oh that’s a great idea! There are so many possibilities when it comes to stenciling! :) I’d love to share them at the party. I’ll see you there!

Hey Michelle! This little project was SO easy. It took no time at all and didn’t require many supplies! You should definitely give it a run! Thanks for stopping by. :) Have a lovely weekend!

Hi Daphne! I agree! These were so easy but they turned out quite pretty. I was very happy with the result seeing as I put in pretty minimal time and effort. Haha! :) Thanks for your kind comment!!

Very cute and trendy works of art. Thanks for linking up for Scraptastic Saturdays. This post will be shared via FB/Twitter/Pinterest. Have a wonderful day. Hope to see you next Saturday.

Cute idea! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams, starts on Fridays 😀 Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party.

I am loving this!!!! what a great post–you’re pictures and directions make it not only come to life but look completely easy and doable. Thanks for sharing such a creative idea!!

I’m so glad you like it! It really was as easy as it sounds! It was a half hour, tops! :) Let me know if you try it! Have a great day, Shana!