Easy Homemade Three Cheese Mushroom Ravioli with Pesto Sauce

ravioli 21

Lest I risk you guys throwing tomatoes at me, I better give you something without pumpkin in it. Who says ‘lest’ these days? Just me, apparently?? I guess I’ll throw a regular recipe at you. :) Something non-fall. Does anyone NOT like ravioli? Okay, good. Didn’t think so. Let’s chat about homemade cheese ravioli today then!

ravioli 5

Homemade ravioli are really fun and are super easy to make. They’re not even time-consuming, but you have to know a secret short-cut. Without knowing this hidden special knowledge, ravioli are indeed laborious and maddening to make. Alright, it’s probably not-so-secret, but here it is: just make your raviolis with wonton wrappers. There you go. That’s the magical info. K? I use these, and most grocery stores carry them, so they’re readily available.

It’s not cheating, you guys. It’s just smart ravioli-making! The wonton wrappers are already thin sheets of pasta cut into perfect squares, so they’re practically begging for it. They’re an excellent substitute for the arduous task of making fresh pasta, rolling it thin, and cutting out squares. Ugh, can you imagine? That’s way too much work for what is essentially just flour, eggs, and water. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

ravioli 7

Now I’m going to really level with you. The pesto sauce is from a jar. I knoooow. I realize homemade pesto is quick and easy, but the thing is, you just made ravioli! Buy the Classico pesto. It’s delish. If you’re truly determined to stick with top-to-bottom homemade (making the rest of us look bad!), then use this recipe from The Little Kitchen. I love that it calls for walnuts instead of pine nuts!

ravioli 12

I used my mother’s lasagna recipe as the inspiration for the filling. Her recipe is unconventional, but fabulous. I know that one of the ingredients is going to sound strange, and if you’re Italian, will feel like sacrilege, but one of the three cheeses here is cottage cheese. You’re going to have to trust me. It’s incredible. It makes these soooo insanely creamy and wonderful. Do not worry – we’re still going with Parmesan and ricotta too. Those are key.

Toss in sauteed baby portobellos and fresh garlic. Boom. Easy, homemade, super cheesy, creamy, Portobello mushroom raviolis. Whew. That’s a mouthful.

ravioli 25

Easy Homemade Three Cheese Mushroom Ravioli with Pesto Sauce
Easy homemade three cheese ravioli with portobello mushrooms and garlic. Creamy, cheesy, delicious.
Recipe type: Entree
Serves: 30-36 ravioli
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • 1 - 8oz. package baby Portobello mushrooms, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
  • ¾ c. Parmesan cheese
  • ¾ c. 4% cottage cheese
  • 1 c. ricotta cheese
  • 1 tsp. dried parsley
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1 - 12oz. package wontons
  • 1 - 8oz. jar prepared pesto
  1. In a large saucepan on medium heat, saute the portobello mushrooms in butter until they're tender and lightly browned.
  2. Turn the heat to low, and add in the garlic. Saute for another 2-3 minutes, or until garlic is lightly browned.
  3. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
  4. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together the three cheeses, parsley, salt, and pepper.
  5. Add the mushroom mixture into the cheese mixture, and stir until well-blended.
  6. Grab a wonton wrapper and drop a scant tablespoon of the cheese mixture into the center.
  7. To seal the raviolis, dip a very small brush (or use your finger) into a bowl of water, and trace the edges of the wrapper. You'll want to use a tiny amount of water.
  8. Fold the wrapper corner-to-corner, creating a triangle, and seal the edges tightly.
  9. In a large pot of boiling water, cook raviolis for 2-3 minutes.
  10. Serve with 1-2 tbsp. pesto sauce and Parmesan cheese.
  11. Enjoy!

ravioli 18

Now go stuff your face with these.

These look delicious Sarah, and have made me again want to try making ravioli with wonton wrappers, weren’t we just discussing that? So smart, I need to do it. Also, I had no idea cottage cheese was totally un-Italian! That’s what my mom always used in lasagna too and it’s amazing. In fact I’m going to post it soon if my pics turned out at all! Definitely prefer it to ricotta so that didn’t sound weird to me at all!

Haha! That makes me feel better! Maybe it’s just the Italian I live with and his fam. They think only Parmesan, mozzarella, and ricotta are acceptable lasagna cheeses! Yes, we were just talking about these – I forget why! I bought too many wontons so I have another version coming up soon again. Haha. You should make them! They’re fun and you can honestly stuff them with whatever you want! :) Can’t wait to see your lasagna recipe!

I only tried making rav’s once and it was a disaster. These look so good that I may give it another go. This looks amazing!! Found your recipe at Time to Sparkle. I am one of the hostesses of Tickle My Tastebuds and would love you to stop by and link up this recipe if you have not yet already. Here is the link

Hi Lori! Did you ever try making them with wontons? It is SO much easier! I will never attempt fresh pasta again! Haha. Ravioli are fun to make too because you can put whatever you want in them! Linked up at your party – thanks so much for coming by! :)

I’ve had it in the back of my mind lately that I want to try making homemade raviolis and then I saw your post!!! :) These look fabulous! Can’t wait to try my hand at it! Pinned & following!

Thank you, Heather! So glad you like them! You should definitely try making ravioli. They’re actually really fun, and not as hard as you’d think. So many options for what to fill them with too. Let me know how you do! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

Hi Teri! You should definitely try it! Homemade ravioli is really fun… if done the wonton way! :) You can honestly stuff them with anything you like too. Thanks so much for the invite – I’ll stop by the party, for sure! Have a great weekend!

Hi Rachel! Thank you so much for the feature! I always feel so honored by that! Thank you, thank you! And thanks for hosting the party!! Hope you have a wonderful week. :)

Yes! I’ll definitely see you at the party Thursday! Thanks so much for the invite, and for stopping by! I’m happy to have a new follower! Back at ya. :)

I’m not a huge fan of ravioli, but that’s because of the ingredients inside. It seems every time I purchase from the store its blah in taste. Maybe I should try homemade. Your recipe sounds amazing! I’m sharing this post on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. Thanks for stopping by and linking up for Scraptastic Saturdays.

I agree – store bought ravioli is not very exciting! Stuffed shells are a little better to me because they have so much more cheese, of course! Haha. You’d like homemade ravioli because the filling is as delicious as you decide to make it! :) Thanks so much for stopping by again!