Peanut Butter and Jelly Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Quaker. All opinions are mine alone! #MyOatsCreation#CollectiveBias

This slow cooker Peanut Butter and Jelly Oatmeal is super simple! It features steel cut oats, creamy peanut butter, strawberry jam, cinnamon, and chia seeds!

peanut butter and jelly strawberry jam crock pot steel cut oats 11

I said it a few days ago, but it’s still true: I miss Christmas! Not over it yet. In denial. I have yet to take down the decorations, lights, or tree!

It’s such a special time of year, and I really enjoyed indulging in all the glorious holiday foods. However, you get to a point where you’re ready to turn over a new leaf, or return to your previous leaf… if it was working for you. My previous leaf was working for me. And I’m going back to my leaf. Okay, all these leaf references, do either of us know what I’m talking about anymore?

peanut butter and jelly strawberry jam crock pot steel cut oats 2

There’s a number of staples that I eat regularly to feel good about what I’m putting in my body. One of those is oatmeal, of course. I eat it a TON. And because I eat it so much, I’m always looking for more oatmeal recipes and new ways of preparing it.

It’s not that hard because oatmeal is so versatile. The options for what to mix into it are virtually endless! And since there’s several different kinds of oatmeal to choose from, between quick oats (the packets are so convenient), old-fashioned oats (my favorite for baking), and steel cut, there’s a world of opportunity!

peanut butter and jelly strawberry jam crock pot steel cut oats 16

I like to switch things up, and hadn’t had steel cut oats in a while. I needed to stock up, so while S.O. was at a hockey game on Friday night, I was having a wild and crazy night shopping at Target with my BFF. It was OUT. OF. CONTROL. Okay, it wasn’t at all, but shopping at Target really was our planned entertainment for the evening, and we had ourselves a good old time. Afterward, we refueled from our Target spree with steak dinners. :)

Target

I found all of the ingredients for this oatmeal recipe at Target, and I also left with a multitude of other stuff… Target has that effect, no? I put the oats in the slow cooker when I got home that night, and woke up to them ready the next morning! Save for mixing in a few ingredients, it was all ready for me.

peanut butter and jelly strawberry jam crock pot steel cut oats 18

When we left for outlet shopping that morning, I packaged some of this oatmeal in a to-go container, grabbed a spoon, and stashed them both in my purse to eat with me while we were shopping. It’s well known that this is one of my foibles. I take food with me everywhere I go, and you never know what snacks you’ll find hiding out in my purse! Shopping is hard work and requires lots of good carbs and sustenance, you know.

This oatmeal stuck with me through our day of power shopping. It’s creamy, satisfying, filling, and delicious with lots of peanut butter, lots of cinnamon, and a little bit of strawberry jam for sweetness. Steel cut oats are blessedly simple to prepare in a slow cooker too!

peanut butter and jelly strawberry jam crock pot steel cut oats 20

Slow Cooker Peanut Butter and Jelly Oatmeal

Super easy, hearty, and filling peanut butter and strawberry jam steel cut oats made in the slow cooker!
Author:
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 4 servings
Ingredients
  • 4 c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1 c. Quaker steel cut oats
  • 1 tbsp. chia seeds
  • ¼ c. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 c. natural peanut butter (creamy or chunky is fine!)
  • ¼ c. strawberry jam
Directions
  1. Pour the almond milk, steel cut oats, and chia seeds into a slow cooker.
  2. Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours, or on high for about 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
  3. Once the oats are cooked and creamy, stir in the brown sugar and cinnamon until thoroughly blended.
  4. Stir in the peanut butter until thoroughly blended.
  5. Serve immediately, with approximately 1 tbsp. of strawberry jam on top. Enjoy!

peanut butter and jelly strawberry jam crock pot steel cut oats 15

Next up, maybe we’ll chat about my favorite blueberry and almond steel cut oats. YES!! Good plan. You’ll love ’em.

Comments

Oatmeal is such a fantastic staple and I’m always happy when my boys choose to make some for breakfast because I know it means they’ll have a great start to their day. I love the peanut butter and jelly idea!

It’s delish! Sometimes I also mix protein powder into oatmeal! Also delish! There’s so many ways to prepare oatmeal, ya know? Hope you had a great weekend, Stacey! Stay warm, friend!

2. Lindsay says

I can’t think of anything better on a cold morning! Anything with a slow cooker is brills for me. Great recipe. Love the pics. Can’t wait to try.

Agreed – a person can never have enough slow cooker recipes! They are one of life’s best short cuts! Haha! Thanks so much for your kind comment, friend! :)

These steel cut oats look delicious, Sarah! I love the peanut butter and jelly flavor, so creative! I could definitely use a big bowl of this right now to warm me up! And Target is my weakness! I could shop there every single day!

Target gets me every time! But I don’t even try to fight it. Love that place! Oatmeal is so comforting and soul-warming in this weather, isn’t it? I love a hot breakfast in the winter! Thanks, Gayle. :)

Lol! Thanks, Lisa! What can I say… I love me some PB and jelly! A classic combo, and a really delicious way to dress up oatmeal! Thanks so much! :)

4. Jeff says

This looks amazing. I never would have thought to prepare steel cut oats in a slow cooker. I’m always thinking about how I’d love to use them more often, given the health benefits, but I usually end up going with quick oats for sheer convenience. This might be the answer. I’ll have to give it a try. Thanks for posting this.

You should give it a try! Steel cut oats are probably my favorite form of oat, and I think the slow cooker is the only way I’ve ever prepared them honestly! I know they can be made on the stove top, but I’ve never made them that way, and I think that’s probably a little more time commitment. Slow cooker does all the work for you! Old-fashioned oats and quick oats are a little more convenient, but I like the texture of steel cut. They’re a tiny bit crunchy and nutty!

It could and *should* be a staple for you! Super easy and a hearty breakfast. Even as a person who is not PB-obsessed (WHY???), you will love this. :)

5. Sarah S says

I saw your tease for another oatmeal recipe . . . I’ll be excited to check that one out as well! The little bit of a crunch in this recipe is very appealing to me. What else do you recommend to add crunch to oatmeal?

I think lots of things could work for crunch, but definitely nuts, of course! Walnuts and almonds are my favorite picks for oatmeal! Steel cut oats are a pretty different texture from other types of oatmeal. I love all types, but if mushy oatmeal isn’t your thing, try steel cut. They are a little heartier and have firmer texture! Thanks for your comment!

HAHAHA! Right? I never looked at it that way, but it did also combine two of my favorite meals too!!! You can never have enough slow cooker recipes, am I right? Can’t wait to try your BBQ Chicken!! It looks *fabulous*. Have a great week, Sarah! :)

I eat oatmeal all the time too! It’s so filling and healthy, plus you can change it up in yummy ways. I have never tried steel cut oats, but now I will!

Oh and I love when you talked about your “wild and crazy night” shopping at Target. Sounded very familiar;)

Lol! Don’t we all get a little wild at Target now and again? Haha! But seriously, I love that place, and I love that sometimes my friends with plans involve just shopping at Target!!! :) Thanks so much, Alison! Hope you had a good weekend!

I always love good ol’ PB&J as a combo too, and I *really* love any excuse to eat peanut butter! Haha! Oatmeal was the perfect canvas for these flavors. Thanks so much, David! :)

I have porridge every morning and I love it!! Your peanut butter and jam version is making me want to reach through the screen, grab a spoon and tuck it! This has been featured as one of my favourites over at Sweet and Savoury Sunday. Stop by, grab a button and link up again with us this week. Have a great day!