The easiest recipe on the planet – baked apples filled with dried tart cherries, pecans, and brown sugar, then topped with ice-cream inspired yogurt for an ‘a la mode’ effect!
I share so many sweets on this blog, but in between all that, we are quite focused on balanced nutrition in my household. Lighter desserts like this are one of the ways we get to feel like we’re indulging, but without the guilt. These Baked Apples ‘a la mode’ are a dessert that is definitely guilt-free! A dessert so delicious that it feels like I’m getting away with something… when actually, it’s rather nutritious!
Fruit and yogurt are like that though! They taste like treats and cheats, but are foods you can feel good about! I really love decadent and indulgent desserts, but I need to have a solid stash of lighter dessert recipes too, and this is one is a winner. These Baked Apples are topped with an ice cream-inspired yogurt in the Vanilla Bean flavor. The effect of the yogurt topping on the baked apples makes you feel like you’re having apple pie with ice cream on top, except this version is much lighter!
- 2 large apples (I like fuji or gala for baking!)
- ⅓ c. tart dried cherries
- ⅓ c. pecans
- ¼ c. packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. butter
- ½ c. water or apple juice
- 2 - 5.3 oz. containers Muller Ice Cream Inspired Yogurt in Vanilla Bean
- Lightly grease an 8x8 inch baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine cherries, pecans, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Cut the apples in half vertically. Using a spoon or melon baller, scoop out the core of the apples to hollow out the middle - just the core and seeds.
- Set the apples in the baking dish, with the hollows facing up.
- Divide the brown sugar filling evenly among the apples, spooning it into the hollows.
- Place a ½ tbsp. pat of butter on top of each apple in the middle.
- Pour the water or apple juice into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes or until apples are soft and tender.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Serve warm, with Muller Vanilla Bean yogurt spooned generously over the top!