Coffee & Donuts Bread Pudding

Bread pudding made from cake donuts! Baked with a coffee custard, and topped with a coffee glaze!

coffee and donuts bread pudding 12 pin

I’ve wanted to make a donut bread pudding for, well, forever. As a donut-obsessed person, this concept always held so much appeal to me. Since I’ve finally done it now, and it was a smashing success (if I do say so), now I want to make bread pudding out of every other bread product I can think of. I’ve always wanted to do this with croissants too. I’m doin’ it. Soon. How can that NOT be good? It can’t. Or… bagels. I think that could even work.

coffee and donuts bread pudding 1

What else? I’m going to keep brainstorming potential bread pudding candidates. If one thing’s for certain, I will fixate until I feel my brainstorming and experimenting has been thorough! I won’t be able to help myself.

How is it possible to take donuts, a food that is already so perfect and difficult to improve upon, and make them even more decadent, less healthy, and overall better.

coffee and donuts bread pudding 6

That’s a tall order. We’re talking about donuts. They’re already soooooo sooooo SOOOOO ridiculously good. Even the plain cake donuts are pretty killer. I’ve yet to meet a donut that I didn’t like though.

Still, it is apparently possible to elevate them to another level = bread pudding. Ahhh, bread pudding. A dessert that sounds dull and boring, and looks unassuming, but is altogether fabulous. Carbs baked into custard. What’s not to like?

coffee and donuts bread pudding 8

But donuts call for coffee. Everything calls for coffee in my world, but especially donuts. Right? Thus, the custard component of this bread pudding is, you guessed it: coffee-flavored! It’s just good sense. Coffee and donuts belong together.

coffee and donuts bread pudding 14

I was also sort of inspired by my S.O.’s habit of dunking donuts in coffee. I know that this is a common practice, it’s just not something I do myself. I’ve never been much of a dunker. Whether I’m drinking milk or coffee, I just don’t really want anything else in it. Even donuts. He does it with everything though. Donuts, chocolate chip cookies, brownies. Any sweets and pastries. I don’t know about all that, but I think I can get on board with donuts.

And if I’m making a bread pudding out of donuts, then I definitely want there to be coffee. It’s in the custard, and it’s in the glaze. There’s plenty of coffee here.

There’s also a slew of cinnamon and cinnamon chips in this bread pudding. You know, for good measure.

coffee and donuts bread pudding 15

Coffee & Donuts Bread Pudding
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 12 servings
Bread Pudding:
  • 16 stale plain cake donuts, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • ½ c. unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 c. whole or 2% milk
  • 1 c. strongly brewed coffee
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp. vanilla
  • 1 c. cinnamon chips
  • 3 tbsp. strongly brewed coffee
  • ½ tsp. instant coffee granules
  • 2 c. powdered sugar
For bread pudding:
  1. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish with non-stick spray. Layer the donut pieces in the dish.
  2. In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, eggs, milk, coffee, cinnamon, and vanilla. Whisk until well-blended.
  3. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the donuts.
  4. Sprinkle the cinnamon chips evenly over the donuts.
  5. Cover the dish with foil, and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove foil, and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until custard is set and edges of the donuts are golden brown.
For glaze:
  1. In a small bowl, combine coffee, instant coffee, and powdered sugar. Whisk until smooth. Drizzle over bread pudding while it's still warm.
If donuts are not already stale, bake them on an ungreased baking sheet at 350 degrees for about 12-15 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.

coffee and donuts bread pudding 18
How does a person make bread pudding look prettier than this? Not sure, but if you’ve figured out the secret, fill me in! :)

LOL! You always crack me up, Ashley! I know how you feel… entire pans of desserts going miss around here pretty quickly! Thanks so much. I’m so glad you like it! :)

1. Cynthia says

looks delicious! Last week, for a potluck I made blueberry croissant bread pudding. Everyone loved it and there wasn’t a crumb left! I am going to try this recipe as well.

That’s such a great idea! I’ve been wanting to try bread pudding with croissants, but blueberry didn’t occur to me, and that sounds amazing!!!

I know what you mean! Bread pudding isn’t exactly a very trendy dessert, but I think it can be awesome when it’s jazzed up! We loved this version!

This looks amazing and I bet it smells just as good as it looks! Thank you so much for linking up the recipe at This Is How We Roll Thursday.

Oh yes, please!!! I’m literally drooling right now. This looks sooooo good. And using donuts is genius!! I usually use cinnamon raisin bread but this is wayyyyy better!!

Haha!! Thank you, Mary! I didn’t think donuts could get any better, but there may be other ways too, and I’m determined to find them out!! :) Lol. Thanks for your kind comment!

I’ve never had bread pudding… donuts? Oh yeah I love those. So this recipe is tempting me to make my first batch of bread pudding. Coffee???? For real? L.o.v.e. it all!
    Thanks for linking up this luscious recipe at our Pure Blog Love Linky Party! I’m excited to see what you’ve been doing this week.

Never had bread pudding?? You must! It sounds boring, but it’s not – it’s amazing. Start with this donut one because it is wonderful! Thank you for the party!

Hi there~
    Found you thru The Thurs This is How We Roll Party when I linked…I am loving your blog…this recipe in particular is awesome! I followed on FB and sub bc I Do Not Want To Miss Thing!!

Nice to “meet”you!!

Americans often confuse bread pudding with bread and butter pudding, but they are not the same thing.
    Bread and Butter Pudding if made correctly is, slices of buttered fresh bread, baked in an egg custard and flavoured with various other things. It should not be dry or contain more bread than custard.

Whereas, Bread pudding is more of a moist cake made from leftover stale bread that is soaked to make moist again mixed with eggs, various dried fruit, sugar, spices, butter and milk.

7. knagle says

I made this tonight but left out the extra sugar and only used 8 doughnuts ( 3 of them were raspberry filled) with the amount of liquid ingredients the recipe called for. I added about a teaspoon of fresh grated nutmeg and a splash of bourbon. It turned out perfectly, not too sweet, with the extra kick of the bourbon. I also did not add the glaze to skip the extra sugar. I let the doughnut pieces soak in the custard for about 20 minutes prior to baking since they were very stale. Great use for leftover doughnuts. I might make this for Christmas.

That’s wonderful! I’m so glad you liked it, and that it turned out well for you! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and the changes you made! Adding raspberry-filled donuts to this sounds AMAZING.

Most bread puddings can be made the night before to soak overnight, but I wouldn’t with this one! Donuts are just softer and more porous than some other heartier breads that get used in bread puddings, so I think it could end up making them too soggy! I hope that helps!