This pie may not be much to look at, but don’t let the bland exterior fool you. It’s full of flavor inside. It’s actually bursting with wonderfulness below that golden brown sugary top.
Now, your hazelnuts are going to get nice and toasty in that pie, and they are delicious complement to cranberries and white chocolate. Hazelnuts feel…. holiday-ish.
They’re a nut that doesn’t get enough love, and I feel like I only see recipes with hazelnuts around Christmas. For whatever reason, they feel like a holiday-ish nut to me now, so they’re fitting for a Christmas pie.
When your cranberries are plump from a long soak in hazelnut liqueur, the flavor complement of the hazelnuts is even stronger!!
Cranberries and white chocolate a match made in heaven, but I don’t even think I have to explain. Silky and sweet white chocolate with tart cranberries – have you had a Cranberry Bliss Bar from Starbucks? That says it all.
The white chocolate will melt and seep and move all throughout your pie, adding to the gooeyness factor.
It’s not a conventional holiday pie, but the flavors together are impeccable, and the gooey center with the slightly crunchy golden top is wonderful. The dots of cranberries even add to a festive feel with a pop of red.
I urge you to overlook the boring appearance of this pie, and you will be overwhelmed at its deliciousness at the first bite!
- 1 c. dried cranberries
- ½ c. Frangelico or hazelnut liqueur
- 1 unbaked prepared pie crust
- ⅓ c. butter, melted, slightly cooled
- 1 c. sugar
- ½ c. packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. hazelnut extract
- 1 c. chopped hazelnuts
- 1 c. white chocolate chips
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the dried cranberries and Frangelico.
- Microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and microwave for an additional 15 seconds. Set aside to marinate.
- Unroll the pie crust and fit it to a 9-inch pie plate. Scallop or crimp the edges.
- In a large bowl, whisk together butter, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and hazelnut extract.
- Drain the cranberries, reserving 2 tbsp. of the Frangelico.
- Add the drained cranberries, reserved Frangelico, chopped hazelnuts, and white chocolate chips to the egg mixture.
- Pour mixture into the crust.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes, or until edges are golden brown, and pie is set.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.