Sweet and gooey apple filling, tart cranberries, topped with a buttery, crunchy, spicy gingersnap cookie crisp! This Gingersnap Cranberry Apple Crisp dessert deserves a spot on your holiday menu.
I am SO READY for everything Christmas. I’ve been feeling Christmas vibes for about a week now. On the other hand, I’m still processing the fact that it’s mid-November! How?? Christmas in 6-ish weeks… eek. That feels very close and yet far away at the same time.
I have my Christmas trees (plural) up, and they are strung with lights, but they are not decorated yet. I know, I know, it’s super early. I also have my decorations partially unpacked around the house, but there aren’t technically any Christmas decorations out yet. I’m listening to some Christmas music, and maybe I’ve also watched Elf twice.
The lines are starting to blur for me between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I am merging the two in this Gingersnap Cranberry Apple Crisp. I think of apple desserts as more of a fall/Thanksgiving thing, and I definitely associate gingerbread and cranberry stuff as Christmas foods. This dessert will work for either holiday, that’s partly what’s so great about it.
It’s still totally appropriate for Thanksgiving, but it’s crossing over to Christmas.
I have an Apple and Tart Cherry Crisp recipe that I LOVE and have made for about a decade. The tart cherries with the sweet, soft cinnamon-sugar apples are perfection. I based this Fireball Apple Crisp from that recipe, and this Gingersnap Cranberry Apple Crisp is a bit of a variation on it too.
Soft cinnamon-sugar baked apples with tart cranberries, and topped with a gingersnap-cookie-crumble-streusel-like thing. 🙂 Gingersnap cookie crumbs with oats, butter, and spices. It’s tart, sweet, and spicy. A little of everything, including a little fall, and a little Christmas.
- 5 Fuji apples, peeled, sliced about ¼-inch slices
- ½ c. dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- ⅓ c. packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ginger
- 2 c. coarse gingersnap cookie crumbs
- ½ c. old-fashioned oats
- 6 tbsp. butter, softened
- vanilla ice cream, for topping
- In a large bowl, combine apple slices, dried cranberries, lemon juice, brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and ginger, tossing to combine.
- Spread evenly into a greased 2-quart baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine gingersnap crumbs, oats, and butter, mixing until crumbly.
- Sprinkle the gingersnap crumb mixture evenly over top of the apples.
- Cover with foil. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, and bake an additional 20-30 minutes, or until apples are soft.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.