Weekend brunch is extra special with these Coffee Muffins with Nutella Ganache. Ready in 30 minutes, chocolate and coffee come together in these dense, but moist mocha muffins, topped with a luscious Nutella ganache!
These Coffee Muffins are so good for weekends when you have a little more time to prep brunch, but you still don’t want to dedicate a whole morning to anything complicated. You can make a batch of these muffins in just over 30 minutes.
From the time you measure the first ingredient, to the time you take them out of the oven, warm and fresh, you only need about a half hour. You’ll be hard-pressed to find another baked good recipe that you can complete in that timeframe.
These are strong with coffee, and pretty loaded up with mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. The coffee flavor is nicely magnified and accentuated by the chocolate.
I absolutely love mini semi-sweet chocolate chips – they’re my favorite baking chip, for sure. I love how they disappear into baked goods, melting and seeping into crevices, and every single bite has melted chocolate throughout. You can cover so much ground with mini chocolate chips.
The crumbs are so soft in these muffins that they basically melt in your mouth. These are dense and hearty muffins, but the crumbs are unbelievably moist.
Better still, these Coffee Muffins are bathed in Nutella ganache. Made in the microwave in seconds, and spooned over the top of the muffins. It was a nice touch because it gave these muffins a hazelnut latte-type vibe, and tied all the flavors together.
I hate to always use the word “rich” to describe food, even when it applies, so I was checking Thesaurus.com, and how about calling these full-bodied?? These are rich and full-bodied muffins! Lol. They really are delightfully rich. One muffin is completely satisfying. Moist, sweet, and full-bodied!
Since I’m off work today for the holiday (yay!), these Coffee Muffins are on the agenda for the morning!
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- ¾ c. sugar
- 2½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 c. whole milk
- 2 tbsp. instant coffee granules (I love Starbucks Via)
- ½ c. butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 c. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 c. Nutella
- ½ c. heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, instant coffee, butter, egg, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Line regular-sized muffin cups with paper liners. Fill ⅔-full.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, pour heavy cream over Nutella.
- Heat for 30 seconds, stir, and continue heating at 15-second intervals until mixture is smooth.
- Drizzle over muffins. It's best if the muffins are mostly cool before drizzling the Nutella ganache because it will run off more quickly if they're warm, but it's also super delicious to drizzle it over warm muffins. Just know that it will be messier. 🙂
Muffins adapted from Taste of Home.
You may also like: