Moist, rich double chocolate muffins with cream cheese filling, and coconut-pecan streusel! These Coconut-Pecan Chocolate Cheesecake Muffins are what breakfast dreams are made of!
One of my favorite muffins in the world. If I want a sinful and indulgent muffin, I go for these. These are one of those ‘dessert for breakfast‘ kind of recipes. Because, really, let’s call these Coconut-Pecan Chocolate Cheesecake Muffins what they are: they’re totally dessert.
If I want a fruity muffin, I go for these Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Muffins with Lemon Glaze. They also have a cheesecake component, but those are light, fluffy, and fruity muffins overall.
For decadence though, these Coconut-Pecan Chocolate Cheesecake Muffins are my jam. Calling these ‘muffins’ doesn’t make them any less dessert, but it does mean we can acceptably eat them for breakfast. Yay!
I love these for weekend brunch. I am not a morning person, and I am even less of a morning exercise person. I really prefer to work out in the late afternoon or early evening, but I get my ass up early on weekends to work out so that I can come home and eat breakfast recipes like these muffins, and I can feel slightly less bad about it.
These are not like your typical fluffy and ultra-soft muffin. These are a little more dense, while still being soft and moist. The double chocolate muffin base is infused with strong coffee and cocoa, so you also get elements of mocha in these!
The next layer to these muffins is a chocolate chip cheesecake filling. If anything can trump the goodness of cheesecake, it’s cheesecake studded with melty chocolate. Oh yes.
Lastly, a streusel on top. A combo of more mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, coconut, and pecans. It’s like… these muffins are so good already with a rich, moist, chocolate base, and a chocolate chip cheesecake filling.
But no… that’s not enough. They must have something ridiculous on top too. And let that ridiculousness include more chocolate, some shredded coconut, and pecans. Yes, yes, yes, So much yes.
I really need to think about tripling the recipe.
- 6 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- ¼ c. sugar
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1¼ c. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- ½ c. sweetened shredded coconut
- ⅓ c. chopped pecans
- 1½ c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. packed brown sugar
- ¼ c. cocoa
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 c. strongly brewed coffee, cooled
- ⅓ c. vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, and flour until smooth.
- Add egg, beating until smooth.
- Fold in ½ c. chocolate chips.
- In a small bowl, stir together ½ c. chocolate chips, coconut, and pecans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon, and remaining chocolate chips.
- Stir in the coffee, oil, and vinegar, and mix until wet and dry ingredients are just combined.
- Line regular-sized muffin cups with paper liners.
- Fill half full with muffin batter.
- Drop a rounded tablespoonful of cream cheese mixture onto the top of the batter.
- Sprinkle with a tablespoonful of coconut-pecan mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving. These are wonderful served warm, but just as wonderful when they've cooled completely.
You may also like these recipes!