These Gingerbread Rice Krispie Treats get a festive kick of flavor from the addition of ginger, molasses, and crushed gingersnaps! Topped with a smooth, creamy layer of melted white chocolate that cuts the intensity of the spice. These Gingerbread Rice Krispie Treats are fantastic as a super simple holiday dessert!
Remember the eclipse back in August? There was all that eclipse mania? My family went to a nice park and had a picnic. I brought these Gingerbread Rice Krispie Treats to our eclipse picnic over the summer – haha. I was doing a little unplanned Christmas recipe testing way back then.
These Gingerbread Rice Krispie Treats were a spontaneous idea. I was making Pumpkin Spice Latte Rice Krispie Treats for fall when the idea occurred to me to make a Gingerbread Rice Krispie Treats recipe. I already had enough marshmallows and cereal, so I just did it, even though it was summertime. Why not?
Over the course of the year, I’ve shared a bunch of other variations on Rice Krispie Treats. They’re all exceptional. They’re not just variations for the sake of make a variety of RKTs. No, they are amazing options!
For other holiday versions, I have these White Chocolate Cranberry Pecan Rice Krispie Treats – everyone loves these, and I sometimes call them Christmas Rice Krispie Treats. I also have the aforementioned Pumpkin Spice Latte Rice Krispie Treats. Both recipes are nearly as easy as standard Rice Krispie Treats, but significantly spruced up.
I almost forgot… for my fellow peanut butter lovers’, check out my Mom’s Chocolate Scotcheroos, which are always popular and well-loved, and my own spin are these extra peanut-buttery Peanut Butter Scotcheroos. Scotcheroos are so similar to RKTs, and just as easy.
I love the kick of flavor that these Gingerbread Rice Krispie Treats get from the addition of ginger and molasses to the standard RKT recipe! I also added some crushed gingersnaps for a bit of crunch and extra spiciness. The white chocolate on top – I guess you could consider that optional – but I love how the sweet, creamy white chocolate cuts through the intensity of the spice in these bars. I personally preferred them with the white chocolate on top, and it only takes a few more minutes of time to do it.
Between all those Rice Krispie Treats options, I’d say you’re all set for having super simple no-bake recipes for the holidays!
Gingerbread Rice Krispie Treats
- 1/2 cup butter
- 16 oz. bag mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1/8 tsp. clove
- 1 cup coarsely chopped gingersnaps
- 8 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 12 oz. white chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp. shortening
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add marshmallows; cook and stir until marshmallows are mostly melted.
- Stir in vanilla, molasses, ginger, and clove.
- Remove from heat, and quickly stir in gingersnap cookie crumbs and Rice Krispies cereal.
- Press into the bottom of a buttered 13x9-inch pan.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the white chocolate chips and shortening.
- Heat at 20-second intervals until melted and smooth. Do not increase heat time intervals - the chocolate MUST melt slowly or it will scorch and turn clumpy. Short intervals, with stirring in between, until melted and smooth.
- Spread melted chocolate evenly over bars.
- Allow to set, about 15-20 minutes. Cut into bars.