Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Balls

A recipe for a super easy, one-bowl, no bake chocolate peanut butter protein ball with lots of good-for-you ingredients!

healthy chocolate peanut butter protein balls 13

Since I just recently brought you the ultimate in peanut butter decadence, today I thought we’d visit the opposite end of the spectrum with something legitimately and truly healthy, but still with lots of peanut butter. Thank goodness. Also, I’m not just claiming they’re healthy, but then they’re really not and it’s still dessert masquerading as ‘healthy’… these are actually, honestly good for you.

healthy chocolate peanut butter protein balls 2

There’s many permutations of protein balls, but I love these in particular. After all, there’s a boatload and a half of other no-bake protein ball recipes out there. You’ve certainly got your pick, but these are not your garden variety Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Balls! Little tweaks make these really special.

The main ingredient here is peanut butter, so you already understand why I’m a fan. Honey plays a pretty significant role too, and those two together make a great team. Throw in cinnamon and a few protein boosters, and you’ll have a healthy and filling snack!

healthy chocolate peanut butter protein balls 9

There’s also one unexpected ingredient in these: coconut extract. You might be tempted to dismiss it as unnecessary.  I know I initially discounted it and didn’t appreciate its importance. But you need it. It has a really surprising and great impact! Do not leave it out! I mean, you can leave it out if you’re in a pinch, but don’t be in a pinch. It really adds so much to these little nuggets. I don’t know what it is – something about the cinnamon and coconut with the peanut butter.

They are so easy to mix up, and there’s no baking required. They’re one of my favorite snacks when I just need a quick, satisfying bite. The ingredients are all good-for-you, so you can enjoy these guilt-free, but still feel like you’re getting away with something.

healthy chocolate peanut butter protein balls 18

These are a staple in my household, and we always have a batch stashed in the freezer to grab from as needed!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Balls

An easy, no bake, chocolate peanut butter protein ball, made with vanilla protein powder for an extra protein boost!
Author:
Recipe type: Healthy Snack
Serves: 24 balls
Ingredients
  • 1½ c. peanut butter
  • ½ c. honey
  • 1 tsp. coconut extract
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • ⅔ c. vanilla protein powder (Trutein is our favorite brand)
  • ½ c. non-fat powdered milk
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 3 tbsp. cocoa powder
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, combine peanut butter, honey, coconut extract, and vanilla. Mix well.
  2. Add in vanilla protein powder, non-fat powdered milk, and cinnamon. Mix until well-blended.
  3. Roll into 1-inch balls, and roll in cocoa powder.
  4. Store in refrigerator. Enjoy!

Adapted from Oxygen Magazine’s Chocolate Energy Truffles.

healthy chocolate peanut butter protein balls 11

Happy Saturday, friends! Have a great weekend!

Comments

Those look really really good Sarah! And I don’t say that lightly, because no bake protein balls generally don’t appeal to me, but these look like something I’d enjoy! And they DO look healthy. Although it’s funny, I probably would have discounted the coconut extract, and now I feel like I can’t make them without getting some! :)

Yeah, the coconut extract really does something for these! Definitely get some and include it. It totally adds! They’re a favorite – we keep a batch on hand at all times!

I love making energy bites like this, Sarah! It’s so fun to create new flavor combinations and try to keep it on the healthy side. These chocolate peanut butter balls look gorgeous! I love the addition of protein powder and powdered milk. I’ve never tried those ingredients before, so sounds wonderful in these cuties! And these are so perfect for stashing in the freezer, too. Pinned! Have a great weekend, friend!

There’s a MILLION different chocolate peanut butter protein variations, but these are our favorite! Of the ones I’ve tried anyway. We love ’em! :) Found the recipe in Oxygen magazine and have clung to it ever since!

Sarah, I don’t think you could’ve made the pictures of these more mouth-watering! When you first posted a preview on Instagram a while back, I was curious because you know I love peanut butter… I have everything needed to make these this afternoon, even the coconut extract! I just won’t tell my husband it’s in there;) Thank you for the healthy indulgence…

I actually double this recipe and make a ton of them and sock them away in the freezer so that we have a lot on hand. These are really good! Something about the coconut extract really makes these better than just a traditional chocolate-pb combo too. They’re a favorite, for sure. I always keep them refrigerated because they get messy at room temp, but in fridge and freezer they hold up forever!

4. Jeff says

So in terms of taste and nutritional quotient, how do these compare to your Chocolate Peanut Butter Graham Protein Bars? ie, which tastes better, and which is “healthier”? Also, how do they both hold up if you take them on a roadtrip or hike where they can’t be kept refrigerated? Thanks.

Good question. The Graham ones are still much more like a dessert that happens to have a nice protein boost in them, however, they’re good for packing for a hike and on-the-go. These are definitely the healthier of the two, and they are good for on-the-go, but they hold up much better if they can stay cold in a cooler. I take them with me in snacks, but always in a cooler with my other food. At home, I keep them in the fridge or freezer. I actually like the taste of these a little better too even though they’re truly the healthier option. Make sense?

Yeah… we had that problem too. These cookies ended up constituting several meals for us instead of actual real food. Haha! Thanks so much, Ashley! :)

Thanks so much, Heather! They seem like just another chocolate peanut butter protein recipe, but the coconut extract and cinnamon make all the difference, believe it or not! :) Have a great week!

Thanks, Kyla! Yeah, these are an Oxygen Magazine recipe. Have you tried them? They’re my favorite protein ball recipe so far! I *totally* forgot – thank you for reminding me. I’ll definitely see you there tomorrow! Thanks for the invite. :) Happy Friday!

Hello gorgeous! I’m licking my lips right now, it looks so good! Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see on Monday at 7 pm. We love to party with you! Happy Saturday~Lou Lou Girls

Yes, these are really delicious! They’re a little different than ordinary chocolate + peanut butter with the cinnamon and coconut! Seems like they wouldn’t make much of a difference in flavor, but they do! Thanks so much for stopping by!! :)