Super simple, but show-stopping, this Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle features layers of moist, spicy gingerbread, butterscotch-pumpkin pudding, and whipped cream! This Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle pays homage to some of the best flavors of the season in one dessert!
This Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle is the easiest of the trifle recipes on this blog, and we’re already starting with a recipe that’s SO simple. I found this Pumpkin Butterscotch Spice Cake Trifle years ago, made it, and knew right away that it was a keeper.
I’ve made it for years now. I shared it on the blog, and you guys love it too. The popularity of this recipe has inspired me to create quite a few variations on it, and today’s is this Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle.
Most recently, I made and shared this Triple Chocolate Pumpkin Trifle, which is so sinful and awesome, and for my fellow peanut butter lovers’, I also have this Peanut Butter Cup Trifle and No Bake Peanut Butter Pie Trifle Recipe.
The beauty of this Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle recipe (and basically all the other ones too) is threefold. #1. It’s easy. Seriously easy. Make gingerbread using a short-cut (box gingerbread mix), and then layer it with a quick, simple pumpkin pudding, and whipped cream. You throw the layers together… literally. Trifles are haphazard and imperfect when in process, but they come together to be a beautiful dessert when complete.
That’s the second reason that trifles are so great. For as easy as they are, they’re show-stopping. It’s quite a thing of beauty to look at, no? It makes an impression, that’s for sure.
Lastly, it feeds a crowd. This Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle is a beast of a dessert – weighs so much that I always worry about it breaking my refrigerator shelf (my refrigerator sucks though). Anyway, it’s BIG!
I love that this Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle combines some of the best flavors of the season. I’m not ready to say goodbye to pumpkin just yet, but I’m definitely ushering in gingerbread things. After all, Christmas is only about two weeks away, so it’s certainly time for gingerbread stuff. This Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle brings us the best of both worlds!
Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle
- 1 14.5 oz. box gingerbread mix
- 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 3 cups cold milk
- 4 3.3 oz. instant butterscotch or vanilla pudding mix
- 2 8 oz. containers whipped topping thawed
- 12 gingersnap cookies for optional garnish
- Prepare gingerbread according to package directions. Cool completely.
- Break up the gingerbread into small cubes and coarse crumbs, and divide into 2 equal portions.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, milk, and instant pudding mixes til smooth.
- To assemble the trifle, start with a layer of cake crumbs, followed by 1/2 of the pumpkin pudding mix, a container of whipped topping, then repeat with the remaining cake crumbs, remaining pumpkin pudding mixture, and remaining whipped topping.
- Garnish with gingersnaps on top.
- That's it! Store in refrigerator. Spoon into dishes to serve!