This super moist bread is made with one bowl, no mixer required, and is sooo easy! It’s made with pistachio pudding mix, yellow cake mix, and ribbons of cinnamon-sugar for an ultra delicious bread or coffee cake! A family favorite that my Grandma’s been making for DECADES!
*updated 11/13/16 with some newer, prettier pics! I hope they are prettier. 🙂
I am so disconnected from the world. I am back in Pennsylvania visiting my family this week for the holidays. I’m staying mostly at my Grandma’s house, and she doesn’t have internet. I mean, of course, because there aren’t that many 89-year-olds that really need internet! Totally understandable, but as a result, I am pretty MIA on the blog this week! My apologies. You deserve a break from my chatter anyway, so I’ll spare you any small talk and we’ll get more or less straight to the good stuff….
Let’s face it, we’re all swimming in last minute holiday preparations anyway, and you probably have all sorts of fun activities and family stuff going on this week! Since I’m home visiting family, staying at my Grandma’s, and since we often make this bread together for the holidays (though we make it year-round too), it seems fitting to share her Pistachio Bread recipe! I grew up on this stuff.
It’s absurdly easy and only requires a handful of ingredients. You can mix it altogether in one single bowl – no mixer is needed! It’s easy prep and easy clean up! When you’re mixing it, the pistachio pudding kinda makes it look like something out of Ghostbusters, but it definitely bakes up much more pretty.
We call it a bread, yes, but it’s pretty cake-like! It’s moist and sweet, and has a thick ribbon of cinnamon and sugar both through the middle and on top. In the middle, it gets deliciously gooey and sticky, and it forms a perfect crustiness on top! It’s a fabulous snack or dessert, but warm from the oven with a pat of butter, this bread is perfect as a coffee cake for breakfast or brunch too. We love it and it’s been a family favorite for YEARS.
No one has to know how simple it is to make. That part stays a secret. K?
- 1 box golden butter or yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 c. sour cream (reduced-fat is fine)
- ¼ c. vegetable oil
- 1 - 3 oz. box instant pistachio pudding mix
- ½ c. cinnamon-sugar
- In a large bowl, stir together cake mix, eggs, sour cream, oil, and pudding mix. Mixture will be thick.
- Spread half of it into a lightly greased tube pan.
- Sprinkle with half the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Swirl lightly with a knife.
- Add remaining batter to tube pan, and knife in remaining cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until edges are golden, and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter.
You may also like: