For an easy and simple St. Patrick’s Day dessert recipe, you’ll love this Chocolate Irish Cream Pie. It’s strong on Irish cream flavor, and it’s also strong on chocolate! It’s ultra-creamy, silky, and rich. This Chocolate Irish Cream Pie is how you want to celebrate St. Patty’s day!
I’m finally getting a St. Patrick’s Day recipe for you, this Chocolate Irish Cream Pie. It’s about time, right?
Wow, March already. Hard to believe. I really feel like Christmas is going to be here again before we know it, but I hate to even bring it up. On the plus side, I’ve already started my Christmas shopping so I’m lightyears ahead of my usual procrastination when it comes to that.
I just took my Christmas lights down like two weeks ago, and I almost didn’t bother. I was going to be that neighbor all year. Life’s been super busy lately, and I’m sure yours has too! It’s been a long minute since I’ve posted (almost 2 weeks!), and I rarely have that long between posts.
It’s partly because I was so unbelievably busy whipping up a ton of things for the next few months. I really should take a picture of my freezer so you can see how jam-packed it is with desserts. I’m excited for what’s coming. 🙂
This Chocolate Irish Cream Pie was a bit of a happy accident. I do a ton of planning and brainstorming for recipes, and I make long lists, then whittle them down, then I short-list things, and whittle that down. I plan and plan and plan, but when I get in the kitchen and am surrounded by ingredients and baking tools, it’s in that hands-on time that I really get hit with ideas.
I forget what I planned to make originally, but it was something along the lines of a chocolate silk pie or mud pie, but the plans took a turn, and landed on this Chocolate Irish Cream Pie. It’s still a chocolate silk pie, mostly, but it’s spiked pretty damn good with Irish cream.
I love this Chocolate Irish Cream Pie because it’s not a pudding pie. Do I love a pudding pie? HELL YES. This Chocolate Coconut Cream Pudding Pie is incredible. I also adore this Quadruple Layer Chocolate Pudding Pie recipe. The filling in this Chocolate Irish Cream Pie is much more of an upgrade from a pudding pie.
Sure, it has marshmallow fluff in it, but it’s still a much more sophisticated cream pie – it’s so silky, creamy, and luscious. You’ll love how rich in chocolate it is, and it helps to have a shot of espresso too. Although you do a little cooking for the filling, it’s easy, and it only takes a few minutes.
This Chocolate Irish Cream Pie is pretty strong on Irish cream flavor. Not so much that it’s overkill or that it has a bite, but it’s also not subtle. You know there is Irish cream in this pie, and it’s glorious.
For other boozy St. Patrick’s Day recipes, check out this crazy popular No-Bake Bailey’s Irish Cream Cheesecake, these (also very popular) Malted Bailey’s Irish Cream Brownies, these Guinness Chocolate Truffle Cupcakes with Bailey’s Frosting, or these Guinness Brownies with Mocha Frosting.
Or for a super thorough collection of awesome St. Patty’s Day recipes, just go to this post: St. Patrick’s Day Recipes & Desserts round-up. *thumbs up*
Chocolate Irish Cream Pie
- 1 unbaked prepared pie shell
- 7 oz. jar marshmallow fluff
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. strongly brewed coffee or 1 shot espresso
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp. Irish Cream liqueur (I used Bailey's) divided
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 16 oz. whipped topping thawed
- chocolate curls optional garnish
- Line pie shell with foil or parchment paper, and fill with pie weights.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until edges are golden.
- Remove from heat, carefully remove pie weights and foil, and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over low heat, combine marshmallow fluff, chocolate chips, butter, and coffee.
- Cook and stir until chocolate is melted, and the mixture is smooth.
- Whisk in 1/3 cup Irish cream, and vanilla extract.
- Remove from heat, and cool completely.
- Fold in 8 oz. whipped topping.
- Spread mixture evenly into prepared crust.
- In a large bowl, fold remaining 8 oz. whipped topping with remaining 2 tbsp. Irish cream.
- Spread over chocolate filling.
- Garnish with chocolate curls.
- Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Cut and serve. Store in refrigerator.
the impossible quiz says
wow, the cake looks delicious and very attractive, thank you for sharing