Buttery, shortbread-like thumbprints, potent with cocoa, dusted with chopped walnuts, and filled with rich, luscious semi-sweet chocolate ganache! These Walnut Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies are simple, elegant, and unforgettable!
You can start with a chocolate cookie, like with these Walnut Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies, vanilla, almond… like, whatever you want.
Fill it with whatever you want.
Drizzle or sprinkle it with whatever you want.
One of my most popular thumbprint cookies is these Chocolate Hazelnut Thumbprints with Kahlua Ganache. They’re like a cross between a chocolate cookie and a hazelnut latte. Ha.. they’re lovely. Hazelnuts can be tricky to find sometimes though, but you can substitute pecans or walnuts, of course.
The ganache in the center is what really sets those thumbprints apart, and what makes these Walnut Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies special too. While the cookie is wonderful as well – very soft, but sturdy, buttery, strong on cocoa, and a little flaky – it’s the silky, luscious, rich semi-sweet chocolate ganache in the center that sends these Walnut Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies over the top.
The popularity of my thumbprint cookies encouraged me to make other versions, like today’s Walnut Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies, but also these Turtle Thumbprint Cookies – they’re dusted with pecans and filled with melted caramel!
I have a bunch now: surprise, surprise! A few that I love for spring, summer, and anytime include these White Chocolate Raspberry Almond Thumbprint Cookies, these Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Thumbprints, and these Coconut Macadamia Key Lime Thumbprints.
My fellow PB lovers’, check out these Peanut Butter & Jelly Thumbprints.
And these are great for holidays or anytime: these Snickerdoodle Thumbprints with Cookie Butter Buttercream, and these Dark Chocolate Peppermint Patty Thumbprints.
Walnut Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp. milk or cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
For filling & garnish:
- 4 oz. semi-sweet baking chocolate broken into small pieces
- 3 tbsp. heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. butter
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar. Cream until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolk, milk, and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the mixing bowl, and beat until just combined.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until dough easily forms into a ball.
- Shape into 1-inch balls, and roll in walnuts.
- Arrange 2 inches apart on parchment paper or silicone mat-lined baking sheets.
- Press an indentation in the center of each cookie using your thumb or the end of a wooden spoon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until set when you lightly touch an edge (carefully).
- Remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
For filling & garnish:
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate, heavy cream, and butter.
- Microwave on high for 30-seconds, stir, and microwave for 15-second intervals until chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Spoon into the center of each cookie, and allow to set.