Buckeye Graham Crackers

Decadent and delicious, these no-bake Buckeye Graham Crackers are sweet peanut butter buckeye filling slathered on a graham cracker, and covered in semi-sweet chocolate!

peanut butter buckeye graham crackers 25 pin

Two separate ideas collided to result in this Buckeye Graham Crackers recipe. Indulge me as I tell you about how these came to be. Then, you go indulge! Make some of these Buckeye Graham Crackers. :)

peanut butter buckeye graham crackers 4

A few weeks ago, leading up to the BCS National Championship Game, since the Ohio State Buckeyes were playing, it got me thinking about Buckeyes…. the candy, that is. Peanut butter is always at the forefront of my mind, and I’m always looking for new ways to incorporate it into a life that is already pretty saturated by the nutty stuff, but eating it 3x a day from a spoon isn’t enough. Nope, gotta cram it in in every way possible! So while I’m not suggesting that I rooted for Ohio State to win the game (Sorry! It goes against my core football beliefs!), I was nevertheless inspired to revisit classic Buckeyes to see if I could spin a new twist on them!

peanut butter buckeye graham crackers 6

So that was Part 1 of the evolution of this idea.

Part 2:

When I’m not eating peanut butter straight from a spoon, I will sometimes spread it on a graham cracker. Do other people do this? I love it as a quick snack. Peanut butter and graham crackers are  such a great pair. Graham crackers have a honey-like essence to them that I think is a perfect complement to PB! I also love the contrast of creamy peanut butter with a crunchy graham cracker. With that in mind, I decided that I wanted to combine Buckeyes and graham crackers.

peanut butter buckeye graham crackers 18

I loved the idea of taking my basic snack of PB on a graham cracker, but making it unhealthy. No, wait. I didn’t mean to say that. I meant… making it an indulgent candy! Yes, that. Sounds much better. Pretend I didn’t say unhealthy. Forget that even came up.

I am in loooove with these Buckeye Graham Crackers. They have the same traditional Buckeye elements with peanut butter candy filling and a coating of smooth chocolate, but with a crunchy and sweet graham cracker base. And for good measure, a drizzle of melted peanut butter chips, which adds a nice decorative touch too. 😉

peanut butter buckeye graham crackers 13

I also really like that they’re flat so they can be eaten like a cookie. The format is just… fun.

I fought the urge to take this idea a step further by stuffing a melted marshmallow in-between two of these. Is that going too far? If you really want to get bonkers, you could definitely do that. Live on the edge. It’ll be worth it.

peanut butter buckeye graham crackers 16

peanut butter buckeye graham crackers 22

Comments

1. Heather says

My family eats graham crackers and peanut butter sandwiches every day. I never even considered that we mit be the only ones… Well, if so, we’re proud to be just as weird as you;) I wasn’t born in Ohio, but have lived here for so many years, that I can make and appreciate a good Buckeye! I love what you’ve done with the traditional candy recipe and am sure that the crunch of the cracker really goes well with the smooth texture of a Buckeye:) Pinning these for our church’s Super Bowl party this weekend. I know they’ll go crazy over them! Thanks for the recipe, friend!

Thanks, Heather! I loooove PB on graham crackers. I didn’t know if anyone else did that? A friend in college turned me onto it! It’s such an easy and delicious snack. I just thought it would be fun to turn it into a candy, and they were delish! Let me know if you try them! They were a little time-consuming, but altogether easy! Just be careful not to break the graham crackers. I only broke 1, but I could see it happening if not careful!

Buckeyes are just the ultimate in PB + Chocolate, and I thought it would be fun to smoosh one onto a graham cracker base. I love PB on graham crackers! Thanks, girl!

Oh wow! You must try them! They’re basically like Reese’s cups, but homemade (of course!) and round like a ball. They’re fabulous! I love graham crackers with peanut butter, so I thought these would be a fun spin!

Oh my GOSH. I could just faceplant into a huge pile of these and be happy for the rest of my life! Who needs pain-in-rear-to-make classic buckeyes when you can have these easy little guys?! These would be perfect for Superbowl Sunday! You know, um pre-game snacking and all that. 😉

These are brilliant! Of course, I would have to make them for someone else because if they stuck around my house for very long I’d eat every last one.

I only did 1 layer, but you can certainly do that. The exact way I made them is explained in the recipe directions and you can see in the photos pretty well too. I hope you like them! Thanks!

4. debbie says

Just wanted to say I am now a senior citizen and when I was in grade school I always took graham cracker with peanut butter and marshmallow cream for lunch all the kids would want to trade me out of it, its wonderful.

Oh really?? That’s such a neat memory, Debbie! I’ve really only ever known one other person who ate peanut butter on graham crackers. I didn’t know how common that was. I was so tempted to put marshmallows or fluff in these somewhere! I love marshmallow w/ PB! Thanks for you comment!! :)

5. Sarah says

I think these look great!! Will def try! I recently discovered PB on vanilla wafers are amazing!! The second batch I make will likely have them in for a twist. Thanks for the ideas!

Oh, that’s a GREAT idea, Sarah!! I bet the vanilla wafer thing is amazing!! I will have to try that. Now you’ve got me brainstorming all kinds of other things I can slather Buckeye filling onto…. haha! Thanks for your comment! :)

Lol!!! That’s so true!! How funny. There’s a few ‘divided households’ in my family too – my brother is a PSU fan, but married a Buckeye, and my dad’s wife is a OSU fan too. I have to endure them. Hahaha! I kid. Thanks so much, Erin! :)

Oh Yes! These look perfect! Peanut butter and chocolate is my all time favorite dessert combo! This will be going on my Pinterest boards and will be made in my kitchen soon! Thanks for sharing!

7. Jeff says

We made these for the Super Bowl with friends and they were amazing. They didn’t look nearly as nice as yours, mostly due to some mistakes during the dipping process (we didn’t press the peanut butter down hard enough), but they tasted unbelieavable. Just for fun, instead of putting more peanut butter on top, we used butterscotch chips for the final drizzle. I would definitely recommend it! Everyone loved them.

I think it’s less about the PB getting pressed down, and more about keeping the chocolate thin and warm, and doing a pretty quick dunk. If it dunks too long, the peanut butter gets warm! Thinner chocolate helped – just add a little more shortening or coconut oil to it to thin it out! A teaspoon at a time until it’s smooth and thin. The butterscotch drizzle is a GREAT idea!!! I love that.

These are delicious! I just made 80 of them! One hitch: I let them dry too close to one another and a bunch ended up fused together. Still presentable though, and I love that they won’t dry out or go stale in a couple days like most Christmas cookies. Thanks for the creative recipe!

That’s wonderful! I’m so glad they turned out well! My brother made them and had a few dunking problems. I can’t believe you made EIGHTY!!!! That’s ambitious. So impressed!! Thank you for the feedback. :)

9. Marilyn says

Can you make these ahead of time and freeze them? I do something similar with peanut butter and Ritz crackers. They freeze well.