Malted Bailey’s Irish Cream Brownies with Chocolate Irish Cream Frosting

Box brownie mix is doctored up as a perfect St. Patrick’s Day dessert, with Bailey’s Irish Cream, malted milk powder, and a Chocolate Irish Cream Frosting!

malted bailey's irish cream brownies 10 pin

Confession: I’m really struggling with St. Patrick’s Day baking!!! I’m having a hard time getting things going with Guinness and Bailey’s. I feel like I don’t know what to do with these things besides drink them. Maybe that sounds like cause for concern? It’s not. We’re not big drinkers. Just wine. And I hardly think that counts… it’s basically juice.

Instead, besides a handful of St. Patty’s appropriate recipes, I’ve been all about fruit lately. Fruit and coconut and all things light and refreshing. Pineapple, mango, kiwi. Because that makes perfect sense in the month of February. Wrong.

malted bailey's irish cream brownies 11

It’s the coldest day we’ve had this winter (I’m in Florida – I won’t even tell you what our ‘coldest’ day temperature is – I know yours are worse!), and yet I can’t stop thinking about strawberry shortcake, key lime pie, and the like.

malted bailey's irish cream brownies 5

Who, besides me, is thinking about rum, pineapple, and coconut? Nobody, that’s who. Florida in February feels kinda spring-like though (except for today!), so I’ve got it in my head that summer is around the corner. Also wrong. It’s far, far away. If you live here, that’s actually a good thing, of course. We don’t exactly love summer, but all the other seasons are stellar, so it’s worth enduring.

malted bailey's irish cream brownies 14

Come June, I’ll be alllll set for fresh and fruity stuff, but I’m coming up dry  for St. Patty’s Day. Pun intended.

Nevertheless, I did manage to mix up these brownies and they were the fudgiest brownies I’ve probably ever had. They were so gooey and moist. I’m not into crispy and cake-like brownies, so these were right up my alley. If you like a dense and fudgy brownie, these are it.

malted bailey's irish cream brownies 24

They’re made with Bailey’s Irish Cream both in the batter, and in the frosting. You can’t miss the Bailey’s, and the flavor is very much noticeable, but it’s also not going to knock you over with an alcoholic bite. Unless you want it to… I’m sure you could work some more in!

There’s a lot of Bailey’s brownies out there. You have your pick of recipes. However, I thought that malted flavors might blend well with Bailey’s and cocoa, and would put a unique spin on the concept of Bailey’s in brownies. I’m happy to report that chopped malted milk balls and malted milk powder put an extra special flavor element into these brownies. We made them twice just this week, and they will definitely make another appearance on St. Patty’s Day!

malted bailey's irish cream brownies 26

Malted Bailey's Irish Cream Brownies with Chocolate Irish Cream Frosting

Box brownie mix is doctored up with Bailey's Irish Cream, malted milk powder, and a Bailey's Irish Cream Frosting!
Author:
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 20 brownies
Ingredients
Brownies:
  • 1 - box brownie mix
  • 1 c. Bailey's Irish Cream
  • ⅓ c. oil
  • 1 egg
  • ½ c. malted milk powder
  • 1 c. chopped malted milk balls (like Whoppers)
Frosting:
  • ½ c. butter, softened
  • ⅓ c. Bailey's Irish Cream
  • 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
  • 1 c. malted milk powder
  • 4 c. powdered sugar
Directions
For brownies:
  1. In a large bowl, combine brownie mix, Bailey's, oil, egg, and malted milk powder; mix well.
  2. Fold in malted milk balls.
  3. Spread in a well-greased 8x8 inch baking pan.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
  5. Cool completely on a wire rack.
For frosting:
  1. In a large mixing bowl, combine all frosting ingredients.
  2. Beat until light and fluffy.
  3. Frost cooled brownies. Enjoy!

malted bailey's irish cream brownies 36

Comments

Mmmm, those sound amazing Sarah! I love the addition of malted milk powder and malted milk balls! I need to find some of the malted milk powder, I’ve never seen it anywhere. But it would be SO good in brownies! Also, you’re doing better than me even thinking about St. Paddy’s day already – I haven’t even got to thinking about it yet! I suppose I should start! :)

Yeah, I wonder if you can find malted milk powder in Canada? Probably, right? It’s where the baking stuff and regular powdered milk is! I have hardly done anything for St. Patty’s day – I’m way behind the ball on this! Haha!

2. Barb says

These look like they are to die for! I can’t wait to try them. I have Bailey’s Irish Cream coffee creamer in my coffee every day, so this is right up my alley!

Ok, I am totally with you when it comes to St. Patrick’s Day. I feel like I’ve already used up my ideas and I don’t even know where to go from there! I think these brownies totally put on the right track though because they look soooooooo good! Pinned!

Yes!! I feel better now – I just can’t seem to get it going for St. Patty’s! These brownies were one of the few things I had up my sleeve. I also didn’t realize that February is the month of all things Samoa in the blog world. Haha! :)

These brownies look totally irresistible, Sarah! The malted milk balls are so fun and I love the Bailey’s! These are perfect for St. Patty’s Day!

These brownies look so good. Don’t worry I don’t drink much either, so I wouldn’t know what to do with them either. And I love your wine comment. I’m gonna tell my hubby that I am just drinking juice. Gonna make these brownies for my hubby work. They will die for them.. Pinned!

6. Susan says

Mmmm, and here my daughter and I were just saying how much we both are craving chocolate. Now I’m craving malted baileys Irish Cream brownies. Thanks for sharing at the This Is How We Roll Link Party on Organized 31.

Wow, this is one amazing looking brownie! Love the flavor combination, my mouth is watering! :-) This look so good, love the shamrock sprinkles! :-)
    Cathy

Looks so delicious! Shared….Thanks for coming to the Inspiration Spotlight party! I love that these are super easy. Featuring your frosting / brownies! Hope to see you again soon.

Where’s my nibble??? Ha I’d like about TEN huge ones please! WE adore these brownies at MUNCHING Mondays and will be featuring them this week. Thanks so stopping by to party! xo Nic

10. Diane says

These brownies look so good that I want to make a 9×13 pan of them. I can get a brownie mix for a 9×13 pan but do I have to adjust the amounts for the other ingredients?

No, you don’t! I made them in a 9×13 pan initially, actually, and everything was just a little bit thinner, but they turned out perfectly!

This looks so delicious! We featured you at The Project Stash…stop by and pick up your featured button. We can’t wait to see your latest creation(s)!

12. Cydnee says

I love this recipe. I showcased it on my blog last week. Thank you very much for joining in the celebration of #purebloglove, we enjoy having you each week. I hope to see you on Thursday at 8PM, EST through Sunday night. ~Cydnee

Oh My!!! The frosting looks soooo good!! And I love the name of your blog!! It would be wonderful if you would share your favorite posts at my Friday Favorites Link Party. It goes live at 7 PM every Thursday at Mustlovehome.com. I hope to see you there…Hugs – Christine

These look so yummy! My husband loves malt, so would really love these. And we like to celebrate with true Irish fare, but desserts are more flexible, so these would be great! (BTW, it’s St. Paddy’s, not Patty’s, since the shortened version comes from the Irish version of the name, Padraig, not the Anglicized version). Here are some of my ideas: https://trulyskrumptious.wordpress.com/2015/03/16/ways-to-celebrate-ireland-day/

I know… someone else told me it’s St. Paddy’s, but I cannot get away from St. Patty’s with Ts! I Googled it and it seems pretty accepted to use the Ts these days, even if it’s not technically correct. Haha! Thanks so much!