Easter Chicks Lemon Cookies

Simple lemon cake mix cookies decorated to look like Easter chicks. These Easter Chicks Lemon Cookies are ridiculously easy and quick to make!

lemon cake mix cookie easter chicks 5

These cookies don’t technically contain any real citrus, so it’s sort of cheating to include them in Citrus Week, buuuuut, they are lemon-flavored cookies, so they kinda count, right?

lemon cake mix cookie easter chicks 2

I realized today that Easter is only about a week away. How do the holidays sneak up on us so fast?? And when you’re always thinking at least 1-2 holidays ahead of things (you know, to bake stuff and make stuff), then it feels like time is flying even faster. I’ve been brainstorming a little bit for the 4th of July, so my brain is on summer ideas. Yet, I’m still astounded that Easter is nearly here. How is it almost Easter already? April is also upon us? Wasn’t Christmas like two weeks ago?

I’m sure you hear this everywhere in the blogosphere though, so I’ll stop rambling about how fast time flies… until the next time anyway. :)

lemon cake mix cookie easter chicks 8

All that said, it occurred to me that if I have any recipes that are pretty specific to Easter, I needed to share them quite soon. I think we can all agree that cookies shaped like little chicks are very much an Easter cookie. While they’d be cute other times of the year, they’re not nearly as fitting as they would be right now. I want to give you plenty of time to plan to make these cookies, even though they barely take any time at all to throw together.

lemon cake mix cookie easter chicks 9

I am a BIG fan of cake mix cookies. In my family, we make them all the time. They’re so versatile because you can use any variety of flavor, you can mix in any variety of chips or nuts, and you can sandwich stuff between them. So many options. So easy. They always stay really soft and chewy too. My Gma created her own version of Oreos using chocolate cake mix cookies and a marshmallow frosting sandwiched in between. They’re amazing.

lemon cake mix cookie easter chicks 4

I can always go for a good lemon cookie (or lemon anything), and I saw these lemon chick cookies from Pillsbury, and thought they’d be so fun to make for Easter. They’re adorable and they were so simple to make. Because they’re a cake mix cookie and lemon-flavored, I knew we’d also love how they taste. Cute + delicious. Look at ’em.. they are seriously perfect for the holiday!

lemon cake mix cookie easter chicks 3

Easter Chicks Lemon Cookies

Simple lemon cake mix cookies decorated to look like Easter chicks.
Author:
Recipe type: Dessert - cookies
Serves: 18 cookies
Ingredients
  • 9 orange candy slices
  • 1 box lemon cake mix
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ c. shortening
  • yellow food coloring (optional)
  • 1-2 tbsp. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • small amount of orange frosting
Directions
  1. The edges of the orange slices sort of form a triangle, which makes for a perfect beak. Cut off about ¼ inch of the edge of each orange slice, and set aside to use as beaks.
  2. To prepare cookies, in a large mixing bowl, beat together cake mix, eggs, and shortening until well-blended.
  3. Add several drops of yellow food coloring if you want the yellow color of the chicks to be brighter.
  4. For each chick, roll two balls of dough. One ball should be about 1½ inches, and the other should be about ¾ inches. Just make sure that one ball is a good bit larger than the other.
  5. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet with the smaller ball just touching the larger ball.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until edges of cookies are golden brown.
  7. Remove from heat, and while the cookies are still warm, press in two mini chocolate chips for the eyes.
  8. Remove cookies from cookie sheet to a wire rack to cool completely, being careful not to break the chicks apart.
  9. Once cookies are completely cool, using a parchment bag fitted with a #4 tip, pipe orange frosting onto the bottom of each chick for the feet.
  10. Using a dot of orange frosting, 'glue' an orange slice beak onto each cookie. Devour!!

lemon cake mix cookie easter chicks 6

Comments

Oh my gosh, Sarah! These are SO cute! My lemon-loving 3-year-old just asked me last week when we could make cookies. I was thinking we’d make some bunny-shaped sugar cookies in the next few days, but I may have to change our plans. He would LOVE the lemon flavor of these little guys, and they’re perfectly adorable for Easter. So clever! :) Oh, and a bonus that they’re made with a cake mix. When cooking with kids, it better be quick and EASY!

Please, I think that whenever I read YOUR blog! Haha! I am always in awe of everyone else’s creativity. I just copied what Pillsbury did!!! :)

I feel the same way, how is it Easter already? I didn’t really make anything festive this year either. Love these lemon cookies! They are super cute and can imagine so fun to make!

These have to be the cutest cookies ever. Those tiny little feet are to die for. So cute!! Hoe creative Sarah! My daughter would love these and I love lemon to its a win win!! Pinned! :-) And yes Christmas was just 2 weeks away. Crazy time..

I feel like these would be super fun to make with kids! You should make them with you daughter before Easter! They come together so quickly and easily. :) Thanks, Cyndi!!

They are very delish from the cake mix, but I agree, real citrus is always wonderful! You could use a plain vanilla or yellow cake mix and add fresh citrus zest if you wanted! :)

Yes, shortening. The recipe calls for shortening, and it is listed in the ingredients as such! I hope you were able to remake them successfully! Happy Easter!

This looks amazing! You are so talented. Pinned and tweeted. Thanks for being a part of our party. I hope to see you tonight at 7 pm. Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

Aww, these are just too precious! Pinned. I wanted to let you know that I’m featuring this post tonight at the Create & Share Link Party (7:00 PM MST)! Congratulations!!! Can’t wait to see what you share with us this week. :)

What a sweet cookie idea! Those little chicks are absolutely adorable. I love how you decorated them with the little chocolate chips and gummy beaks. Glad to know that you added those decorations after the cookies were baked. Did it help the cookies to cool more to keep the chocolate from melting or didn’t it matter? Thanks for the help and I can’t wait to try.

These Easter Chick cookies are just adorable. I love that they are made from a cake mix, too. Thanks for sharing at Snickerdoodle Sunday. This is my Snickerdoodle Special Feature of the Week at tomorrow’s party.

8. Lisa @ Fun Money Mom says

These are really adorable! I definitely need to put them on the list of Easter goodies that I want to make! Pinning!

Oh my goodness these look so cute and so yum. I know a certain little two year old who would just love them – I’m off to buy some lemon cake mix now :-)

Thanks for linking up to Turn It Up Tuesday

Lydia xx (March’s Guest Host)

Hi Sarah,
    Love your Easter chicks lemon cookies
    Voted this as my favorite on last week’s party and now it’s been voted Best of the Best.
    Congratulations:)
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe:)

11. Lisa McCracken says

I just made these and I am in love! :) I tweaked it a little by using a Funfetti cake mix because I wasn’t sure if everyone would like the lemon. I can’t wait to show these off tomorrow at Easter dinner!