Cake mix sugar cookie cups, filled with homemade lemon curd, and topped with whipped cream, for bite-sized Lemon Cream Pie Cookie Cups! These Lemon Cream Pie Cookie Cups are simple, but oh-so delicious, and what summer dreams are made of!
The weather has been absolutely perfect this week, and it’s got me back in a citrus groove. I got hit with it really hard back in February when I was ready for spring, then March took the edge of my citrus cravings, but I’m back on it. It’s just been the most beautiful spring here in Florida, and it’s got me thinking about all sorts of fruity desserts. So I’m back on citrus, and these Lemon Cream Pie Cookie Cups are a good example of that!
I’m so into spring this year that I’m even watching baseball games religiously. I used to love baseball, then I fell out of it (hey, it can be slooooooow), but I’m really making an effort to get back into it this year. I need a sport to tide me over until football season in the fall.
As for this springy dessert recipe, I see these Lemon Cream Pie Cookie Cups happening for me again in the very near future. They are little bites of springtime and citrus heaven.
The cookie cups are made with French vanilla cake mix. Just a few simple ingredients added to it, allow ample time for chilling, bake, and you’ll get perfect sugar cookie cups. Long on vanilla flavor, and with golden crisp edges, but really soft centers.
You could fill them with almost anything – buttercream frosting, peanut butter, custard, homemade curd, or…. I don’t know. ANYTHING!
Seeing as though I binged on making homemade lemon curd (and a bunch of others like the key lime curd in these Key Lime Macaroon Thumbprints) for the second spring in a row, I went with homemade lemon curd. I made an ultra-large batch when I made these Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Muffins with Lemon Glaze and Lemon Raspberry Almond Croissant French Toast recently, so I still had some left, and it makes for the perfect tangy, sweet, and creamy filling for these cookie cups.
Two steps to simple bite-sized Lemon Cream Pie Cookie Cups.
Top with whipped cream, and you’re done!
Lemon Cream Pie Cookie Cups
For cookie cups:
- 3/4 c. butter softened
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 box French vanilla cake mix
- whipped cream for garnish
For lemon curd:
- 4 egg yolks at room temperature
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1/3 c. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 c. sugar
- pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter softened
For cookie cups:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and water, beating until combined.
- Add cake mix, and beat until combined. Dough will be thick.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours, or until it can be rolled into balls.
- Prepare and chill lemon curd while waiting for the dough to chill!
- Coat non-stick mini muffin pans with cooking spray.
- Roll dough into scant 1-inch balls, about 11/2 - 2 tsp. dough, and place in the bottom of each muffin cup.
- Make an indentation with your thumb in the center of each dough ball.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes, or until edges are pale golden brown.
- Immediately remove heat, and use the end of a wooden spoon to re-indent the center of each cup.
- Allow to cool completely before removing to a wire rack. They're a little delicate to remove from the pans, so make sure you're careful, and it helps to sort of spin them out of the cup!
For lemon curd:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar and salt. Transfer to a small saucepan.
- Cook the mixture over low-medium heat, stirring constantly, until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the butter. Mix until smooth.
- Transfer the curd to a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Pipe or spoon a heaping teaspoonful of lemon curd into the center of each cookie cup.
- Top with whipped cream!
Helen Fern says
Thanks for sharing on the “What’s for Dinner” link up!
Aahhhh…these look really tasty….love anything lemon!
What an awesome little dessert. I love the idea that you can fill the cups with different fillings. Thanks for sharing this.
Yes, definitely. Lots of options for filling!
Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood says
Oh, I love how simple and easy these are! I need to find somewhere to bring these!
Your Lemon Cream Pie Cookie Cups look so yummy! I love that they can go together so quickly with the French vanilla cake mix! That way I won’t have long to wait!
Totally! They are easy!!
I always associate citrus with summer, and this is such a perfect summer treat. I love they’re cookie cups as well. A bit lighter than the usual cupcakes! Thanks so much for sharing this with us on #shinebloghop this week 🙂
Me too! Such a summertime thing! Thanks so much. 🙂
I love lemon. This sounds amazing! Thanks for linking up at the Best of the Blogosphere Linky Party!
Create With Joy says
These look amazing Sarah!
Congrats – you’re our Featured Friend at this week’s Friendship Friday at Create With Joy!
So happy to have the opportunity to celebrate you and your blog this week! 🙂
(Party #222 – Live on Thurs, 4/28)
Awesome news! Thanks so much for the feature!!!
Frugal Hausfrau says
These are just darling and you’ve taken them to a whole new level! Thanks for sharing with us on Throwback Thursday!
So glad you like them. 🙂
I love lemon everything. I can already tell these are amazing! They look beautiful too!
Right??? On a citrus binge right now, for sure!
Oh my. Can’t wait to make these. Yummy and gorgeous.
Thanks so much for sharing these lemon pie cookies at The Pretty Pintastic Party! We love them so much we are planning to feature them at the party coming up this weekend. We hope you’re stop by, grab a featured badge, and share some more great posts!
That’s awesome news! Thank you so much for the feature!!! 🙂
YUM! Thank you for linking up to last week’s Tasty Tuesday. I have pinned your recipe to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board. I hope to see you again at this week’s Tasty Tuesday. 🙂
Jody Gabara says
Thank you so much for sharing this delicious recipe! Congrats! You’ll be featured this week at Simple & Sweet Fridays!
Hugs, Jody ♥
That’s fantastic! Thank you!
Very beautiful and yummy looking dessert! Featured and pinned. Linda @Crafts a la mode
Karren Haller says
You always have the most amazing recipes, these looks absolutely delicious!!!
Pinned to share!!!!
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!