This easy quick bread is chock-full of maraschino cherries and almond flavor, and drenched in an unbelievable maraschino cherry-almond glaze! This Cherry Almond Bread is a perfect treat for Valentine’s Day!
So when the idea for Cherry Almond Fudge fell through, and we got this 5-Minute Strawberry Shortcake Fudge instead, I decided to channel my cherry-almond idea into another recipe, this Cherry Almond Bread.
This Cherry Almond Bread is something I’ve wanted to make for a long time, and it’s been an idea I’ve had for a while, but I waited until Valentine’s Day because something about cherry and almond feels like Valentine’s Day to me.
Maybe it’s because it’s pink food. My kitchen was an explosion of pink for basically all of January. I would look around every day at the desserts on the counter, and everything was PINK. It wasn’t intentional, it just worked out that way.
Is it a requirement that a Valentine’s Day dessert have some pink in it?
Well, as it turns out, Cherry Almond Bread has been done before. I mean, of course! Because it’s a great idea. I always try to brainstorm new and innovative ideas, but sometimes somebody else had the same idea already, and it’s usually because it’s a good one. So at least there’s some validation in that!
I’m not reinventing the wheel a whole lot here, but this bread is HEAVENLY. Cherry and Almond were MADE to go together – like Amaretto.
With two entire bottles of diced maraschino cherries in the batter, and a seriously bold and intensely-flavored maraschino cherry glaze smothering the whole bread, this sweet bread is as decadent as cake. Slivered almonds and almond extract give it loads of flavor in the nut department too.
It doesn’t require a lot of ingredients, and you can whip this up without a mixer! This Cherry Almond Bread is a super simple quick bread recipe, but it’s pretty in pink, sweet, and indulgent!
- 2 - 10 oz. jars maraschino cherries
- ¾ c. sugar
- ½ c. whole milk
- ½ c. vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1½ tsp. almond extract
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp. butter, melted
- ½ c. maraschino cherry juice
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- Drain the maraschino cherries very well, reserving the juice. Finely chop the cherries.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, milk, oil, egg, and almond extract.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the chopped cherries.
- Pour the batter into a well-greased 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes, or until edges are golden brown, and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 20 minutes, before removing bread to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, combine powdered sugar, butter, maraschino cherry juice, and almond extract, whisking until smooth.
- Once the bread is cool, drizzle with glaze. Slice and serve!
Adapted from Tastes of Lizzy T.