Dense, moist, sticky-sweet, and bursting with citrus and juicy blueberries, this Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Bread is the bread recipe of summer! Using lots of in-season ingredients, and it’s very simple to make!
After almost 5 years of sharing recipes (side note: time flies!), I’ve noticed a few themes that are popular around here this time of year. Lemon blueberry recipes and zucchini recipes.
Today, we mash them together to make this Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Bread. While Chocolate Zucchini Bread is certainly a classic, and we grew up with an amazing family recipe that I still use to this day, I have also found that zucchini bread is a treasure even without chocolate. Who’d have thought?
UPDATED: Recipe is best made as two loaves of bread.
In fact, it’s a treasure with LOTS of things. That’s the beauty of zucchini, I suppose… you really don’t know it’s there. It makes for spectacularly moist baked goods, without turning them mushy, and you don’t even realize there’s a veggie hiding in your sweets.
In addition to adding moisture, I’ve noticed that zucchini adds a teeny tiny touch of sweetness too. Besides chocolate, one of my favorite pairings with zucchini is citrus. It enhances the summery vibe of zucchini.
Citrus in bread is a general favorite too…. I find that citrus seems to make all my breads and cakes sticky, and I love it. I love the sticky sweetness + tangy & tart.
Plump blueberries, also in season, round out this Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Bread making it a summer MUST. Blueberries and lemon are a dream team.
Besides this new Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Bread, I have a BUNCH of lemon blueberry recipes, including Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake, Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake with Lemon Glaze, Lemon Blueberry Pull-Apart Bread, Lemon Blueberry Crumb Bars, and even a few more. I’m just listing the highlights.
I once made a round-up of some of the best lemon blueberry recipes on the internet at large too, this collection of 23 Heavenly Lemon Blueberry recipes.
As for zucchini recipes, well those are in abundance too, much like zucchini in your garden right now… this Chocolate Zucchini Coffee Cake, Blueberry Zucchini Bread Pancakes, Death by Chocolate Zucchini Brownies, Orange Zucchini Bread with Orange Glaze, Lemon Zucchini Muffins with Lemon Glaze, Zucchini Banana Bread with Streusel Topping, and Goat Cheese Zucchini Scones. Um, is that enough ideas?
Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Bread with Lemon Glaze
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 cups grated zucchini about 2 medium
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- zest of 1 large lemon
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar more as needed
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, oil, zucchini, vanilla, and lemon zest.
- In another large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Divide batter between two well-greased 9x5-inch loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes, or until edges are golden, and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. I find it helpful to rotate pans halfway through baking too.
- Remove pans to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edges to loosen, and remove bread loaves from pans to cool completely. Do not cool entirely in pan - bread will stick as it cools!
- Prepare glaze.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all glaze ingredients. Add additional powdered sugar as needed to achieve desired consistency - it should be thick enough that it doesn't run off the bread.
- Pour over loaves. Cut and serve.