This brunch casserole features a pound of bacon, loads of cheese, onions, garlic, fresh thyme, and corn, baked into buttery grits!
The bulk of the non-baking that I do is breakfast and brunch. Better said, if I do any cooking, it’s usually breakfast foods.
My big thing with cooking is that I simply don’t like to deal with meat, unless I’m dropping it right from the packaging to a slow-cooker. That I can handle. Or, if the meat is bacon. Bacon is the exception for me. I actually like making bacon, and having the entire house smell like it for two days after.
For as long as I can remember, breakfast was my favorite meal of the day, and nothing’s changed about that. Sweet, savory, whatever. I love all breakfast. For a person with a massive sweet-tooth, it might surprise you that I prefer a savory breakfast over a sweet breakfast. I’ll take ANY variety of breakfast, anytime, but I do actually prefer savory.
Grits are something that I picked up a love for back in law school in the mid-2000s. You’d think that I would’ve started up with grits after moving to the south in ’08, but my love of grits started long before that.
Law school was the first time in my life that I had my very own kitchen, all to myself. I experimented with all sorts of food and recipes during that time because I had free reign over what food I kept in the kitchen, and how it was made.
There wasn’t much about law school that was ‘fun’, but having a new apartment and a new kitchen that was all my own – that was sooo fun.
I loved a good brunch casserole back then, and I love them now.
This Cheesy Grits Casserole with Bacon and Corn is a staple brunch casserole recipe. It combines so many wonderful things into an easy casserole. You can make this for weekend brunch, and it reheats nicely as leftovers during the week.
With a pound of bacon and a pound of cheese, I wouldn’t call this health food. Although, it might be perfect hangover food! Bacon, loads of cheese, onions, garlic, fresh thyme, and corn – hey, at least there’s a veggie. It combines so many wonderful breakfast things in one filling and delicious dish.
Cheesy Grits Casserole with Bacon and Corn
- 1 - 16 oz. package bacon reserve grease
- 3 tbsp. bacon grease
- 1/2 c. chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 c. water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 c. quick grits
- 1 - 8 oz. package shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 - 8 oz. package shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 1 c. whole milk
- 1 1/2 c. frozen corn
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 4 large eggs
- sour cream or Greek yogurt for topping
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook the bacon until crispy and brown. Remove bacon with tongs to paper towels to drain excess grease. Crumble the bacon into bits.
- Reserve 3 tbsp. bacon grease in the skillet.
- Add onion and garlic to the bacon grease, and cook until onions are beginning to soften and are turning golden brown.
- Add water and salt to the pan, and bring to a boil.
- Whisk in the quick grits, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 3-5 minutes, or until grits are nearly tender.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the crumbled bacon.
- Stir in both cheeses, milk, corn, thyme, and eggs.
- Pour mixture into a greased 3-quart baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes, or until edges are golden.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes. Cut and serve.
You may also like:
Maple Bacon Pecan Cinnamon Rolls
Brown Sugar Maple Bacon Scones with Brown Butter Glaze
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Blair @ The Seasoned Mom says
Seriously…is there anything better than bacon, cheese, and grits?! Holy Southern YUM. 🙂