This Brownie Bottom Peanut Butter Pie is no ordinary peanut butter pie recipe! It features a thick, fudgy layer of peanut butter-laced brownies, topped with a mountain of creamy, rich, mousse-y peanut butter pie filling. My Brownie Bottom Peanut Butter Pie is next-level for my chocolate + peanut butter lovers’!
To easily view all the blog recipes, follow along on Pinterest!
This Brownie Bottom Peanut Butter Pie isn’t a no-bake like my Gma’s classic No Bake Peanut Butter Pie recipe is, but it’s still super easy — like it doesn’t get all that much easier than this. But yeah, this particular version is not a no-bake version. It’s worth the ever-so-slight extra effort.
That brownie layer is a game-changer here. It’s easy-peasy because it’s box brownie mix (*shrugs*), which I happen to like. I like homemade brownies more, yes (see these insane Ultimate Fudgy S’mores Brownies or Peanut Butter Streusel Brownies for my fave homemade brownie base), and they’re actually ridiculously simple to make from-scratch, but I also don’t turn my nose up at box brownies.
Box brownies are pretty damn great. I like to make them in an 8×8-inch pan and they turn out exremely thick and really fudgy, and I’m cool with that result. Slap on some homemade frosting (maybe Nutella Buttercream or Peanut Butter Frosting?), and what could be better??
For this Brownie Bottom Peanut Butter Pie, you get a similar effect…. a really thick, fudgy brownie layer. It’s actually richer and more chocolate-y because you don’t make this brownie batter exactly like the box says. It’s a little different, you make less volume of brownie for this pie so that everything fits. Make sense?
The brownie layer is almost, quite literally, like fudge, but it still has kinda crispy edges and a crackly top. Peanut butter chips give a boost of PB deliciousness to this already killer Brownie Bottom Peanut Butter Pie, and pull everything together.
With my Brownie Bottom Peanut Butter Pie, you get flaky pie crust, fudgy brownies, and mousse-y peanut butter pie filling all in one easy, fuss-free dessert!
Topped with whipped cream, sprinkles, and brownie crumbs for quick garnishes, and this thing looks like you got it from your fave local bakery. No one will know that you took a few short-cuts and that this show-stopping Brownie Bottom Peanut Butter Pie is actually a breeze to make.
For other options? Here’s 9 different Peanut Butter Pie recipes you can make in a FLASH. A few highlights are this decadent and insane Reese’s Cup No Bake Peanut Butter Pie recipe, loaded with peanut butter cups, obvi. My No Bake S’mores Peanut Butter Pie with a silky chocolate layer and a marshmallow layer sandwiching the peanut butter filling. Unreal!
Oh, and this peanut butter cookie-loaded Nutter Butter Peanut Butter Pie version has really taken off lately. Quite sensational, all of them.
Brownie Bottom Peanut Butter Pie
For brownie layer:
- 1 9-inch prepared refrigerated pie crust
- 1 standard-size box brownie mix
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 3 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
For peanut butter layer:
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8 oz. Cool Whip or whipped topping thawed
- 3 - 4 tbsp. chocolate jimmies, chocolate chips or peanut butter chips, brownie crumbs for garnish
For brownie layer:
- Arrange pie crust in a 9-inch deep dish pie plate, and crimp or scallop the edges.
- In a medium bowl, combine brownie mix, oil, water, vanilla, egg, and peanut butter chips, stirring until mixed.
- If desired, set aside 2 tbsp. brownie batter to bake separately if you'd like to have brownie crumbs for garnish on the pie. We'll come back to that.
- Press the brownie batter evenly into the pie crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, or until edges and top look crackled, and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If you chose to set aside 2 tbsp. brownie batter, flatten it into a small disk on a greased cookie sheet, and bake for 7-8 minutes, or until it appears set.
- Remove from oven to a wire rack to cool completely. Break into crumbs.
- Meanwhile, prepare peanut butter filling.
For peanut butter layer:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, peanut butter, powdered sugar, and half the whipped topping (eyeball it), beating until smooth.
- Fold in remaining whipped topping.
- Spread evenly over brownie layer in the pie crust.
- Sprinkle with chocolate jimmies, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and brownie crumbs for garnish, if desired.
- Chill in the refrigerator until firm. Cut and serve.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for about a week.